The Motherwell Magazine Essays/Articles Submission is open. Motherwell Magazine is a self-funded startup publication that accepts work on a variety of parenting-related themes such as culture, family life, obstacles, and the process of overcoming them.
The Motherwell Magazine Essays/Articles Submission is all about the content that tells all sides of the parenting story. This is another opportunity for you to earn from your writing skills.
They have also just launched a new vertical, Motherwell Books.
Categories Of Writing
They have two streams of writing on the site. They are:
Paid opportunities are for selected, featured content—either personal essays or perspective pieces. They usually have a selection of themed calls for submissions as well.
This is an additional platform where they collect other essays: syndicated posts, shorter pieces, and alternative formats, including videos, graphic memoirs, lists, poetry, etc. These are unpaid.
What Motherwell Magazine Want
They are looking for evocative first-person narratives that have a unique focus or take a novel angle, on a slice of the parenting experience. They are open to a range of styles and tones: the only requirement is that the essay works on its terms—be it lyrical, humorous, research-oriented, etc—and conveys something fundamental about its writer. Essays should be up to 1,200 words. Completed essays only and please include a word count.
- Examples include:
- Fighting the patriarchy one grandpa at a time.
- Practicing who I will be when my kids are out of the house.
- Will my only child be lonely during the pandemic?
This is all about your take on a newsy, topical, or controversial issue. They want tight, well-argued pieces that combine anecdotes and analysis to make a strong case for a particular point of view. The word count should be up to 1,200 words. Completed essays only and please include a word count.
- Examples include:
- I don’t want my son to read in kindergarten.
- Why I don’t let my young daughter wear a bikini?
- I don’t go to every school event.
Parenting and Food
This is part of their new weekly column. They are looking for stories, up to 1,200 words, that delve into all how these two areas of life can intersect.
Interpretations might include:
- cultivating cooking skills with your kids,
- body image around pregnancy,
- raising picky or limited eaters,
- managing food allergies, and
- coping with weight concerns, at either end of the spectrum.
Completed essays only and please include a word count.
Guidelines for the Motherwell Magazine Essays/Articles Submission
- For time-sensitive pieces, please indicate as much in the subject line. They also accept some personal essays, due to length or format, solely for their social media platforms. You may want to click on this link for some writing tips.
- They are unfortunately unable to give individual feedback on submissions, but they do offer personally tailored editorial services.
- You can keep up with Motherwell on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and through their newsletter.
- Submissions should be made through Submittable, their online submissions manager system which can be accessed through their website.
You can learn how to improve your essay writing here.
$50 will be paid for selected, featured content.