Open Country Mag is calling for applications from people into literature, film, music, visual art, photography, fashion, and media.
Open Country Mag is excited to make their first call for submissions for a new kind of fellowship for African curators. The Open Country Mag Curatorial Fellowships, sponsored by Africa No Filter, aims to provide direct motivation, technical know how, and funding support for new projects in a range of artistic fields: literature, film, music, visual art, photography, fashion, and media.
Eligible Projects for The Open Country Mag Curatorial Fellowship
- Projects that are groundbreaking endeavours in single fields (say, literature alone, film alone, or art alone)
- Projects that cross two or more fields (say, literature and visual art, film and music, fashion and tech and photography)
They do not want to limit your innovation, so all formats of projects and ideas are welcome: an art exhibition, a musical retrospective, a journalism series, a fusion of fashion and tech, a blend of literature and photography — anything is welcome.
The projects can focus on any African country or region or can be continental.
Application Process for the Open Country Mag Curatorial Fellowship
- Applicants must be African
- Applicants must already work in the artistic fields they propose to curate in
- It would be ideal, but not mandatory, for applicants to have a track record of successful curatorial work
- Applications, even if covering non-Anglophone countries, must be in English
- Applicants must be prepared to deliver their project within 6 months or, depending on need, a year after workshops
Format for Application Email
OCM Curatorial Fellowship Application 2023
Body of Email:
Name of curator:
Title of project:
Geographical reach (country/region/continent):
Description of project (750 words max.):
Potential impact or significance (250 words max.):
Links to previous or related work (250 words max.):
Bio of curator(s) (500 words max. each):
Four Curators will be selected, two will be offered $2,000 each and the other two $1,000 each to finalize them. Open Country Mag will showcase the projects on our website, with the Fellows holding the copyright.
Their submissions window opens on May 2, 2023 and ends July 2, 2023.
If interested in submitting, do ensure to visit the Open Country Mag Website to get more understanding on their call for submission. Goodluck.